Week 5 saw some huge games from some relatively unknown stars, a couple big games from guys that everyone expected to be great all season long, but they hadn’t gone big prior to Week 5, and a quarterback that completed 2 of 17 passes to lead his team to victory, or I guess they won in spite of him. Here’s the review!
Elite Starters: Guys picked early that I love this week…
1. Peyton Manning – #4 quarterback in Week 5, it was free money, 300+ 3 TDs, Reggie Wayne’s drop could have gotten him to #1, but 28 fantasy points from your QB is nice. A
2. Adrian Peterson – #7 for AP, the Vikings didn’t feel like wasting their best player, he didn’t carry the ball all that much. B
3. Maurice Jones-Drew – The Jaguars were sleeping in this one, MJD had little room. F
4. Matt Schaub – 371 yards, 2 TDs, tied Matty for 6th amongst QBs this week. A
5. Reggie Wayne – 14th overall for Reggie, not a bad game, but not quite Miles, Roddy, or Maclin either. B-
Solid Starters: Guys picked in middle rounds that should outplay their ranking/draft position this week…
1. Julius Jones– 45th overall? Yikes, the Seahawks threw early and often, and didn’t do much on the ground. F
2. Santana Moss – 40th WR, not a great game, not a bad output, I expected a little more. C
3. Tim Hightower– 14th RB, Tim caught passes, has few rushes, and scored a TD, sounds about right. B+
4. Carson Palmer – 271 yards and a TD, the Bengals relied on Benson more than I expected, Palmer was OK. B-
5. Hines Ward –11th receiver, you bet. Hines is one of the most consistent receivers ever. A
Sleeper Starters: Guys ranked low, drafted low or not at all, but I still like them this week…
1. Tashard Choice – 14th RB overall with just 8 rushes, this kid is a stud. A
2. Jerome Harrison – They said he’d run a lot, he didn’t Jamal Lewis carried the rock 31 times, JH not much. F
3. Mohamed Massaquoi –He had the most targets, most yards, and most catches for the Browns. 2 fantasy points. That’s how bad it is in Cleveland right now. F
4. Steve Breaston– 34th receiver, 10 fantasy points, a TD would have made this a great pick. C+
5. Eddie Royal – 12th overall, 15 targets, 10 catches, 90 yards, Eddie is back baby!!! A
Sit ‘Em Son: I don’t care where they were drafted, I don’t like these guys starting this week…
1. Ray Rice – Rice was huge this week! This was a tough week for me in Sit’em section. F
2. Steven Jackson – 23rd RB overall, just 10 fantasy points, outscored by lots of guys ranked below him. B
3. Matt Ryan – Ryan ate up the 49ers, tossing TDs to Roddy White like it was his job. It is his job. F
4. Roddy White –Best day he’s ever had, used Nate Clements and company like his own highlight film. F
5. Larry Johnson – 45th RB this week, he averaged something like 1.7 yards per carry. A
PS – Bye weeks are back, and here for some time, recognize! Mind the gap!
Week 5 Fantasy Final Rankings
Lawrence Tynes, Rob Bironas, Olindo Mare, and Jay Feely all had solid outings on Sunday…
Red Red Ryan brought up the rear this week, probably because he can’t get out from under the boss’s finger and write his damn article any single day during the week. Josh finished 3rd, I finished second by a single spot as Papa Weimer took the title for the 2nd week in a row. What can I say? At least it’s staying in the family. Papa pulled off 3 wins this week, taking QBs, WRs, and TEs, and a second place finish in WRs despite Sims-Walker being a late scratch, quite the impressive week from the old man. He killed the QB rankings! Who did we miss this week? From bottom to top, we all missed the Seahawks, finishing Week 5 as the top ranked D. Cleveland was 4th with a huge day leading their offense to victory. Nobody saw room for Kellen Winslow in their Top 5 rankings, but he decided to go ballistic on us, putting up nearly twice as many points as the 2nd rated TE. Heath Miller, Visanthe Shiancoe, and Anthony Fasano finished 4, 5, 6… Five out of the top six receivers didn’t see a Top 5 selection. Andre Johnson was 4th, but 1, 2, and 3 went to Austin Miles, Roddy White, and Jeremy Maclin. 5 and 6 went to Austin Collie and Nate Burelson. Nobody picked a RB in the Top 6, 1-6 went as follows; Ahmad Bradshaw, Micheal Turner, Ray Rice, Joseph Addai, Ronnie Brown, and Cedric Benson. Maybe we’re picking the wrong Giant??? We all had a pretty solid day in the quarterback race, but none of us selected #1 signal caller Matt Hasselbeck nor did any of us pick #3 QB Matt Ryan. Other than that we had the Too 10 pretty well represented.
Stay tuned for Week 6’s Fantasy Focus!